I thought I would share this recipe on my own blog, you will see the same recipe on another blog because I was a contributor to that blog for this recipe. I thought I would also share it with my readers because I thought it turned out so cute!
I will be the first to admit I am not Martha Stewart, I can’t make anything look half as pretty as she does, but I do love to bake. I have a 4 year old running around the house so usually I am always looking for fun recipes that we can do together.
You can use a box cake mix for this but I was feeling adventurous so I made one from scratch. I was insipred by this recipe but added my own flair to it.
Some pointers I have learned while baking:
- Try to always use room temperature eggs, milk and butter. It makes the cake more fluffy.
- I always forget about room temperature for eggs so to get them there faster put them in HOT water for about 15 minutes. That will bring them to room temperature
- fold in beaten eggs whites to make the cake light an airy
Marble ice cream cone cupcakes:
5 large egg whites room temperature 3/4 cup milk room temperature
2 1/4 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or almond if you like almond)
2 3/4 cups flour (sift it if possible)
1 3/4 cups sugar
1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
12 tablespoons unsalted butter room temperature and cut into cubes
2 Tbsp cocoa
1. Preheat oven to 350°F
2. Separate egg whites
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the dry ingredients together on low speed for 30 seconds.
4. Add the butter and remaining 1/2 cup of milk, and mix on low speed until just moistened. Increase to medium speed and mix for 1 1/2 minutes. It will be lumpy:
Take out about a cup of batter and add the cocoa. When you put batter in cones add a little of the chocolate batter and “cut” in the chocolate batter (don’t stir it in or the whole cake will be brown instead of marble)
Time to add the batter to the cones: